DAY 1
Destination: Imogene Lake
Distance: 7.1 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,220 feet
Difficulty: Moderate
We left our three sweet kiddos with my sister, Morgan, who by the way begged us to go backpacking so that she could watch them. She really is the best aunt ever. And I am not sure that she entirely knew what she was in for. Our gain. :)
We headed off for the trailhead at 8 and decided to kick off our couple's weekend with a good breakfast and Mexican hot chocolate at Java. We got to the trailhead around 10 and hit the trail. We hadn't been backpacking for a few years due to being pregnant, having a baby, and just being too busy. So we had forgotten how heavy packs feel for the first few miles while your back gets used to it. But we made great timing to the first lake, Hellroaring, 3 miles in. We snapped a picture and kept going. We climbed above the lake and after 4 more miles, reached our destination for the next two nights: beautiful Imogene Lake. We had never been here and it did not disappoint. The Sawtooth peaks surrounded 3 sides of it and it was a big lake.
We hiked around and found our lakeside, private campsite and set up camp. It was 3:30 at this point. Now what? No kids? You mean this is our time to do what we want? We took naps and I read my book out on a rock overlooking the lake in my cozy Crazy Creek chair while Travis slept. So peaceful and Q.U.I.E.T. Not a single person around. I just soaked it all in. Then we spent the evening making dinner, watching the sunset, then ended the day with playing cards in our little tent.
Breathtaking!
Destination: Mount Cramer
Distance: 5 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,000 feet
Difficulty: Hard
We planned on summiting Mt. Cramer (Elev. 10,716) for a day hike. We thought it sounded adventurous and we could see it, so how hard could it be to get there? So after breakfast, we headed out at 9:00. There was no trail, which was new for me. We hiked up over rock outcroppings and back down. Up, then down... over and over. I felt a little uneasy being in the heart of the woods with no one other than us even remotely nearby. I kept my eyes peeled for a bear or any other wildlife. I felt vulnerable just walking around in wilderness. But, I'm happy to report that we didn't encounter any. We came across a beautiful unnamed lake with a waterfall leading to the middle of it. But we kept hiking. We finally found out way to the base of Mount Cramer. It seemed so far up there. And so we climbed. And climbed. And climbed. We finally reached the ridge and had just a little ways to scramble up. It was then that we noticed storm clouds building right above it. And I don't do lightning. I have two irrational fears: bears and lightning. Is all I could think about was reading a few days prior that if clouds are building, don't try to summit. It's not worth it, that peak will be there another day. And Travis and I both agreed not to risk getting stuck on the ridge with lightning. Our kids and lives are more important. And plus, we had an amazing view from where we were. So, we took it all in before heading down. Straight down. We went back to the waterfall lake to have lunch and then hiked back.
We reached camp at 1:00. More time to kill. We both took a nap and I went and read on my rock for over an hour while Travis slept. We then hiked a few miles around the lake to get a view from the other side. It turns out it is a bigger lake than we thought. Then we enjoyed our evening making a good dinner, purifying water, cuddling up watching the sunset, and more whipping Travis' butt at Gin while listening to music in our tent.
So close! :(
Gin... again. :)
DAY 3Destination: Upper Hellroaring Trailhead
Distance: 7 Miles
Elevation Gain: -1,220 Feet (Downhill. Ah yeah!)
Difficulty: Easy
This was our day to hike out and go get our kiddos. We hiked out fast and were back at the trailhead by noon. We rewarded ourselves with delicious milkshake at Smiley Creek and then raced down the mountain to see our kids. It was so nice to have a break, but we missed our cute kids and were thrilled to see them, as they were us. Sometimes a break is just what everyone needs.
Our last view of Imogene Lake before heading out.



No comments:
Post a Comment