Saturday, July 23, 2016

Camden's Cavities

Camden got his first set of dental X-rays. And it wasn't good news. He had 7 cavities. We had the first 2 cavities filled and he did well until they put the rubber guard in his mouth and then he was done. He hated that thing. Then that night we noticed Camden's mouth was swollen. We looked in his mouth and noticed that he had chewed up his lip and inside of his cheek! It looked bad and was painful for him for a few days.
Swollen cheek and lip

We came back to get 2 more cavities filled and he let them numb him but would NOT let them put in the rubber guard or any tools. We finally had to give up. So our best option to get the remaining 5 cavities filled was dental sedation. I was very uneasy about it. I didn't like the idea of sedating my little boy.

We showed up early in the morning for his sedation. Camden was so playful. We gave him the medication and he just melted. I hated seeing him lose muscle control. His speech was so slurred. The dental staff did a wonderful job and got his cavities filled so quickly and then we got to take him home. I had to sit next to him on the car ride home. I had to help hold his head up and he was saying funny things, like that he kept seeing spider webs. (We have some funny videos that he watches and says he doesn't remember any of it.) Once we got home, he slowly gained better muscle control and speech. I just cuddled with him. But then he decided he was fine and wanted to walk by himself. The only problem with that was that he still couldn't walk well. Then he just got mad! He yelled and cried for over an hour. It was exhausting. We were just glad to have our busy, playful boy back- cavity free!
He started out as his normal playful self.

 You can see the sedation kick in.

                                          Cavities filled and going home                                Cuddling with Mommy

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...