Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back to School

Well, it's that time of year again.... BACK TO SCHOOL. I was sad that it came so soon but Makenna was excited and we were ready for the routine. Makenna is in FIRST GRADE this year! It makes me sad that from here on out, she will be in school all day every day. But she is ready. 


We started it all off with school shopping. I actually let her pick out a few things this year. I am not big into buying a bunch of clothes just because school is starting- I don't think it's that necessary especially where the first six weeks it's still summer. But it was cute to let her pick a few shirts out. She was very particular. Then we had her back-to-school night the evening before school started which made Makenna really excited. And finally, the first day of school came and with a backpack FULL of supplies and a new start in the air (and many pictures later), we headed to school. She wasn't the least bit nervous and wouldn't even give me a kiss in her classroom (sniff, sniff). 


And she is loving it. She is definitely getting used to going all day every day and having homework, but school is her thing. She's such a good little student and LOVES playing with all of her cute little friends at recess (Lately she has been playing cheerleader). 


Her class is heavy on boys (which I'm not too thrilled about just because I've been there- boys have soooo much energy at this age). So the teacher is being strict (which is great) to try to train the class to follow the rules. So if they aren't listening after being warned, they get their name on the board and have to stay in for 5 minutes at recess. Well Makenna, my VERY CONSCIENTIOUS STUDENT, is very concerned about NOT getting her name on the board (which is a good thing). But, I worry that if she ever did get her name on the board it would crush her. So, after the second day of school, I had to explain to her that if she did forget to put her pencil down or stop talking and happened to get her name on the board, it would be okay. It would just be a reminder to work at listening to the teacher. So, then she came home yesterday and said "Maybe I do want my name on the board so that I can stay in our nice cool classroom instead of being so hot at recess." Uh oh. (But very clever.) Luckily, I know she wouldn't really do that. But it made me laugh. 


When I dropped her off at school yesterday, we got there a little early and I asked if she wanted to go play. Last year, she NEVER would go play- I had to either walk her in the school or wait in the car with her. But this time she told me that she saw a few of her friends so she wanted to go play. When she got to the gate, a group of her friends had gathered to meet her. They all stood around and talked with their cute outfits and backpacks, and then slowly made their way to the school. It cracked me up. I felt like I was looking at little junior high students. It's so weird to see my baby growing up but so exciting at the same time. She just seems to just get more and more fun.  Good luck in first grade sweet Makenna!!!


HADLEY'S FIRST DAY OF "PRESCHOOL"

Poor Hadley was feeling left out on all of the school excitement. So, since I am working with her this year with preschool skills, we made a big deal of her first day of "school" at home the same day as Makenna's first day. Hadley got to pick out a few school supplies and we took a few pictures of her too. She loved "school". We are starting with basic handwriting skills and following directions, but she was so proud the entire time. And she looked at me and said, "I am having so much fun with school." 



And here is Hadley trying to figure out what to do without her play buddy all. day. long...

3 comments:

just call me jo said...

You are such a good mom and pre-school teacher. I love that their outfits kind of match. I'm sure Mckenna will be a star.

MandaJ said...

such darling girls!

Andrea said...

Darling! I can't believe you have a first grader!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...