We became friends 17 years ago when we lived on the same floor in the dorms at college. Our friendships seem unbreakable. We can go a long time without talking and just pick up right where we left off. I love it because we are all so different. We all live in different place, are different religions, have different degrees and professions, have different interests, and all have different family dynamics. But we have all had to go through a hardship of some sort in our lives since college. So, though our hardships are different, we somehow understand and appreciate one another's trial. We are there for each other. We only have to send a text or ask. It is hard because we are spread out and have busy lives, but I always know they are there for me. Through the loss of Macee, I always knew they were pulling for me. What a beautiful gift true friendship is. I don't think any of us could have known when we were in the dorms what a long-lasting friendship we would end up having.
We had so much fun together in college. We had our ups and downs and really learned who we all were. Tasha and I lived together and so did Rachel and Tammera. We took classes together, laughed all night together, learned how to rock climb together, helped one another through dating woes, studied together at the library, went on weekend getaways, cross-county skied (and even studied mountain goats), cried on each others' shoulders, had dinners together, attended each others' weddings, helped each other ease into parenthood, and so, so much more.
We decided to have a friends camp out this year. It was so fun to be in the outdoor together. We had such a great time. The kids all got along great. And it gave all of us time to catch up. We laughed and cried. But mostly laughed. That night as we sat around the campfire after the kids went to bed, we reminisced about our college days. And we laughed. so. hard. The all-out, stomach hurting, tears rolling down laughter. We talked and laughed for hours into the late night. It was just what I was needing. To laugh so hard, I cried. The laughter that night was healing. It was the first time that I had really laughed since Macee's passing. I felt like a piece of me returned that night. Of course, these true friends could help me remember who I was. Not just some broken-hearted, mourning, trying-to-survive person. I was Heather. The peppy girl in college who was happy and overly-enthusiastic about life. Sometimes we need to remember who we started as to help us remember who we are striving to be.
Fun hike
Camden just stopped in the middle of the trail like this because he was tired. Ha ha.
The kids wrote and put on a play. So cute!
















No comments:
Post a Comment