Monday, October 4, 2010
Corn Time
Every year we say we are going to freeze corn, but it usually falls at the time school starts, which is really busy for us. But this year, thanks to the late harvest, we were able to actually do it. I shucked corn throughout the day and then we spend a little over two hours cooking, cooling, cutting, and bagging. And viola, we now have 118 cups of frozen corn in our freezer. A year's worth of fresh, frozen corn for $20. So worth it! And the girls loved it because they got to sample the corn along the way. Travis' mom was kind enough to come and help and with all of her many years of freezing corn, she was speedy! There is something so rewarding about storing your own local food. My theory on canning or freezing is that it has to be something that we ALL like and will use throughout the year, otherwise it's not worth it. So, we have found corn, peaches, jam, and salsa worth doing for us. Maybe we'll add to that list each year, but for now, that keeps us plenty busy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
YUMMY!! Can you mail some of that up to me:) Miss ya!
I love frozen corn! Yummy.
Props to you! I was going to do that this year but did not have the ambition! Luckily I can always go get some from my mom's freezer :)
Corn! I never thought about corn! I think we will have to put that on our list also. I can't believe you drove that truck! How cool! I think I have to put that on my bucket list to do also. you are the best example to us! I love reading your blog!
Post a Comment