Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Little Cook

Makenna is such a sweet girl. She has always been someone who is aware of others' needs. But, we kind of went through an attitude stage with her for a few weeks where she was grouchy and not her usual thoughtful self. So, we talked to her about trying to be happy and kind to our family members. And we talked about thinking about others' needs and feelings. I really do understand (from personal experience) that being the oldest child holds a lot of responsibility. So, we were trying to be understanding of that factor. But, I was beginning to wonder if we were entering the pre-teen years early?

She started making an effort to change and even prayed that she wouldn't have an attitude. And one evening, she came and asked me exactly how to make scrambled eggs. She wrote down the directions. I wondered why she was asking. She loves cooking and has gotten more independent with baking. The next morning, Travis noticed the kitchen light was on at 6:00am. He went out there and there was Makenna up, dressed, and cracking eggs. He asked her what she was doing and she said she was making breakfast for the family. (Remember, she is only 9 1/2 years old.) He told her how sweet that was, but she needed to go back to bed for a little while because no on would be ready for breakfast for another hour. So, she went downstairs and played on her Kindle for a while. Then at 6:57, she was back up here to make breakfast. She cooked the eggs all by herself and made toast. She had everyone's breakfast (eggs and toast) and a drink set out and ready for everyone to eat. She was so proud. And we all told her thank you and I could see that happiness in her that comes with selflessly serving others. I asked her later that day why she decided to do that and she said, "Well, I know that you are always working so hard to do things for other people. So, I thought that was something that I could do for you and our family." And I melted. She had a change of heart, which is no easy thing. I love our little Makenna. She has always been so kind and responsible. She still comes and climbs on my lap or cuddles with me in bed or will grab my hand. I know that she is almost 10, but I hope she still does that when she is 20. 

She also LOVES banana bread. So, when we have some soft bananas I just have to let her know and she is all over making banana bread. I snapped a few pictures last week of her making some while patiently letting Camden help (which we all know, toddlers aren't exactly helpful with cooking). 

1 comment:

MandaJane said...

Oh my goodness this made me tear up. What a sweet daughter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...